Thursday, March 26, 2015

Sarah's Pocahontas, Part 1

For a few years now I've had a blog, http://jesusbeanlaiho.blogspot.com/, where I basically shared thoughts and experiences from my life. I enjoy it very much! But eventually as a writer, I want to write fiction. So I've started this new blog to do just that! To start with, I plan to write my own versions of classic Disney tales and see how it progresses. It goes without saying that I did not come up with the characters on my own! This is basically fan fiction- just a writing exercise to help me practice. If you like what you read, please comment and share! I need your help! And if you hate what I write, please tell me how I've failed, to help me improve.

I'm starting off with one of my favorite Disney stories... Pocahontas! I intend for this to be kind of a work-in-progress- not a full story in each blog, just sort of chipping away at it as I switch from story to story.

Thank you for reading!
_____________________________________________________________________


As soon as I wake, I feel the heat. The air is heavy on my skin, weighted with the hot, wet feel of late summer. My eyes open slowly, adjusting to the dim light. Outside my hut, I hear the village has already risen without me. Children shout, and their parents answer. I see the blanket that hangs in my doorway stir in the breeze. I squeeze my eyes shut again, trying to hold on to the dream.

I was running, running. My lungs ached with exertion, drawing shaky breaths. I could hear the slap of my bare feet on the heavily worn path. Trees flashed by, their skinny, knobby branches all pointing the same direction: forward. I was running faster, almost flying. In my mind I saw a face, a strange face. Pale, like the moon, with hair like fire. The face was linked with danger, with blood. I must save this face. I--

I feel a tickling sensation on my bare arm. I open one eye to see my raccoon, Meeko, sitting on the ground besides me, his nose in the crook of my arm, looking-- no doubt-- for food. He is always hungry. I give him a playful nudge, and he chirps at me. I sit up, stretching. The dream begins to trickle away, like usual. But I know it will come back. It always does.

When I draw back the woven blanket hanging in my doorway, I see the village teeming with life. People are fixing and eating breakfast, getting ready for a day of work. It is getting near to harvest time, and everyone is busy. The air smells of smoke and food, and suddenly I am hungry too. I head over to my family's fire, and sit next to several of my half-sisters. One of them is heavy with child and the others crowd around her, brushing her long black hair and braiding it neatly, and preparing her food. She sits there, still. Serene. She has always been beautiful, but the pregnancy has made her glowing and content.

My sisters smile when they see me, and hand me a plate of food. Before I take a bite, I hand a bit of it to the ever-present Meeko, who dashes off to devour it. I am about to take my first bite when I feel a slap on the back of my head. Alarmed, I crane my head from side to side, and see only the retreating shape of my oldest half-brother. I decide to repay the favor later. Now, I am busy.

Breakfast is fresh-caught fish and cornbread. As I eat, I listen to my sisters and enjoy the shade here under the big trees. The day will soon be sweltering, and I am glad it is not my day to work in the sunny fields. I spot my friend, Nakoma, and wave to her. She grins and waves back, then turns back to her family. I feel a sharp stab of pain in my heart when I see her talking to her father. I have not seen my father in months. He is our chief, and is always busy. He has been gone making peace with some of our neighboring tribes, and I miss him terribly.

After finishing my breakfast, I stand to help clean up. I see a shape flash in my peripheral vision and turn my head. I see Kocoum walking towards the river, solemnly. Kocoum does everything solemnly. He was once one of my closest friends, but when our tribe went to battle with another, everything changed. Kocoum saw both of his parents slain, and has not smiled since. All the village elders comment on his strength and bravery, but every time I see his serious face, I hear in my head his wailing cries of loss.

Something about his solemn face reminds me of my dream. I am troubled. I decide what I will do today. After cleaning up, I run back to my hut and collect my traveling bag. I sling it around my neck and whistle for Meeko. He dashes out from a nearby bush, cheeks full of something. I head towards my canoe on the river's edge. One of my sisters, the nosiest, calls after me, "Where are you off to, Pocahontas?" I have no problem telling anyone where I am going, but her prying annoys me. I pretend not to hear her.

I push off from the bank, and skillfully paddle my way upstream. Meeko chirps at me and I playfully splash water at him. He shakes off the water and eyes me resentfully. I laugh. It is not a far journey, and we are at our destination quickly. I hop out of the boat and pull it onto the shore. Here everything is much quieter, chirps from birds replacing arguing voices, and there is only one lone campfire. I spot her standing on a hill, eyes cast out across the valleys, seeing everything and nothing at once. She is blind, but notices more than anyone I've ever met. She hears my approaching and smiles. "Is that my Pocahontas?"
I grin. "Hello, Grandmother Willow."
____________________________________________________

To be continued!!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment